While we’re not ready to give an estimate on when 3.0 will be released, I’d like to shed some light where Táve 3.0 stands right now.

The New Release Plan

The last time we discussed how the 3.0 release was going to work, it was essentially the same as any other release in that all studios would receive the update the moment we published it. All studios would be on 2.9 one day, and then using 3.0 the next.

The feedback we’ve been hearing from our beta testers has generally been that 3.0 is absolutely amazing, but also such a large change that they’d really prefer to upgrade on their own schedule.

So we’re doing two things. First, we’re going to be opening up a Preview Release to all subscribers, so you have a chance to dive into it and get familiar with 3.0, complete with your 2.9 data.

In addition, since we have a worldwide userbase, the 3.0 release will inevitably end up being in some users’ busy season and some users enjoy being early adopters while others prefer to wait for an update or two to be released, we’re switching to an opt-in upgrade that will give studios plenty of time to make the jump. It also means we’ll be able to let those more adventurous users or those who are only looking for a particular feature, to start using 3.0 even earlier than we had planned.

The Roadmap

We recently switched to a new agile development process, called scrum, and with that change firmed up our roadmap. Once we get through another iteration or two we should have enough data to confidently discuss timelines, but until then let’s look at the release plan at a higher level.

If you’ve been following the blog you’ll know we recently released Beta 3 to our private beta community, and as I mentioned in my last blog post, Beta 4 will introduce a new workflow system and section (it also replaces the oldest piece of our application, the Products section). With Beta 4, the manager will essentially be at “feature complete” status. With Beta 5, the final beta, all the client-facing systems will also reach “feature complete” status and we’ll switch to primarily fixing bugs and addressing issues found by our beta testers.

The next release after B5 will be quite exciting; the Táve 3.0 Preview Release! The preview will allow all of our subscribers to preview 3.0 using their current data. As mentioned above, it’ll let you get familiar with 3.0 so you’re ready for its release. It’ll also let you help find any bugs or issues that could hamper your use of 3.0.

It keeps getting more exciting with each release, because the PR will be followed by Táve 3.0 Early Access, and as the name implies, existing users will be able to upgrade their accounts to use 3.0 at this point, prior to the final release (and new users will be able to create Early Access accounts directly without first setting up 2.9, though they’ll still be able to if they wish). For many, this will be no different than a 3.0 release.

The Early Access release will be followed by the final Táve 3.0 release: General Availability, the actual release with all the new documentation and videos, the new public website, and end of 2.9 registration. To those who upgraded during the Early Access release, this will seem more like a 3.1 release.

As I mentioned in the release plan section above, 2.9 users will be able to continue using 2.9 even after GA and will have until the end of the year to self-upgrade.

P.S. We Love You

It’s been a long journey and the road has a few more stops ahead, but only a few now. We may not post updates each step of the way, but we are getting there and I sincerely appreciate your desire to use 3.0 ASAP and I thank you for your patience and continued support as we work toward its release.

25 replies
  1. Kris Miller
    Kris Miller says:

Thank-you. Even if we don’t have specific dates, it is nice to know what to expect going forward. I’m really excited for the release! I definitely want in on the Preview Release. I’ve often wished to be a beta tester but I know you already have plenty.

2. Dajuan
    Dajuan says:

I really love the opt-in strategy. The idea of switching studio management solutions mid season did concern me, but you guys just took care of that. Perfect!

3. Chris Hartwig
    Chris Hartwig says:

Thank you for the news and keep up with the good job ! You’re amazing, we love you, and we’ll be even more delighted soon…
    We know it’s a huge amount of work you’re about to deliver, so we do understand it’s not easy at all !

4. Kyle
    Kyle says:

It’s so close I can almost taste it! I’m really looking forward to Tave 3 and hope credit card payment integration makes it into the final release.

5. Gary Munford
    Gary Munford says:

This is great news no doubt…However, I am a little leery about the release date. Its been over a year from when Tave 3.0 was suppose to go live. In Dec/ beg first of the year we were told not much longer now in beta testing. 5 mo later from that announcement we are being told not much longer. I still have bet with my buddies the release wont be until 2012 or longer so no hurry on my part, but take with a grain of salt when you say not much longer now. In tave terms that means 6 mo to a year. Sorry guys just not trustworthy any more

6. Sara Lamond
    Sara Lamond says:

Any news on when Preview release will be available? If you’re following a scrum development cycle you should certainly have these dates under control by now. I’m about to do a major change to pricing and packages, and if I have SOME hope that tave will update soon I may wait. Getting very frustrated guys….

• Adrian Ziemkowski
      Adrian Ziemkowski says:

Hi Sara. Beta 4 is our first scrum iteration and considering how even best guesses get interpreted as a promise, we’re simply not ready to go there.

3.0 isn’t changing the way you create and price product options and addons, so I don’t think that should be a factor (it does assist with packages and products with lots and lots of possible configurations, but they’re simply usability improvements). The workflow is getting a big update, but it too just adds features above what you can do in the product editor already, so there’s nothing lost by updating products now.

7. Kara
    Kara says:

I’m going to have to agree with Gary and Sara – as much as I can’t wait for 3.0, I’m super frustrated that it’s been over a year and you still have 2 betas to clear before the final release. Two betas is a really long time, not to mention the final release which may or may not be available to everyone at launch. Personally, I really like Tave and think it is really user friendly, much more than ShootQ and others. I love your overall feel to the home page and can find things easily when I need it. But, I needed Tave to do email and questionnaires, and, in the time that we waited for that, I could have actually set up and started with ShootQ (which is saying a lot since they have a crazy setup that takes a LONG time and it’s convoluted). Now I feel stuck in limbo which I’m sure I’m not the only one. Holding on to hope that it’s coming but not quite ready to research other options out there. I don’t know – do I bite the bullet and dive into another software management system or just hold on? I’m not sure where I go from here but wanted to at least speak my mind…

• Suzanne
      Suzanne says:

Kara, I actually was in the exact same boat as you. Have you actually given ShootQ a test drive? I did their free test drive and it didn’t take me too long to get set up. To be honest, I’ve gotten really tired of waiting for Tave 3.0 when ShootQ has everything ready now and doesn’t have a long track record of broken promises. I want to love Tave and support them, but, like you, I got tired of waiting. In the end, it was cost me more time to stay with Tave than to just bite the bullet and switch to somewhere that would provide the services and support that I need.

8. Jeff
    Jeff says:

Yea I have to say that I am one that is starting to lose the faith. I love tave but, like everyone has said here, over a year now for this update that was coming over a year ago. I hope for tave’s sake after this build up that it is going to be the most amazing thing since sliced bread. I hope it well. But the way is really starting to make me say “who cares”. I’d almost be more happy just knowing that it’s not coming period, then we wouldn’t be always waiting for something. I have started to look for alternatives. I hate doing that but there is another competitor on the market now (not mentioning names) and they are turning around updates and upgrades in weeks not years. I understand it’s a small company but, maybe they should have remained quiet until they knew they had a product much more ready to be done, instead of a year long joke of a wait. This is a lesson I am sure they have learned as well and something they wished they hadn’t of started from the beginning (except for the added business they got from people signing up under that promise).
    As a tip to ‘regain the faith’ from a lot of us loyal followers, I have a suggestion. When Tave 3.0 really is ready and really is launching, how about giving us all a break on price for a good 6 months to a year for all of the hassle we have gone through in waiting, the unseen delivery promises, the let downs, and yet the fact that we are still here. I’d say a good $5-$10 off per month for a while would go a long way in saying thank you. Just a thought.
    Oh, and of course, as it already looks like the new system will bring the confusion level to 10, I highly recommend a detailed ‘how to’ video series hosted on a blog somewhere. Maybe separated by category or how to or what not.

9. Lauren | Lauren Nicole Photography
    Lauren | Lauren Nicole Photography says:

I’ve had Tave for a little over a month so far and love it. I thought I’d take the chance to see if you’d like to throw a brand-new user into beta 4, for a unique, fresh perspective. Mostly expecting a no, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Thanks for a great product. 🙂 <3

10. Devan
    Devan says:

I have been using Tave for about 2 years and am getting really impatient as well. How does get asked to be a part of the Beta?

11. Gary
    Gary says:

I can’t believe we can’t even get a ballpark…it makes me wonder if 3.0 is a reality or just a carrot to keep us around. I just went to the ShootQ website and liked what I saw. I may have to jump ship before I’ve really even gotten underway!

12. Gary
    Gary says:

Guys Guys Guys come on!!!!! Really more BETA releases!??! This is a JOKE!! It has been over a year and promise after promise still gets broken!! I am not looking for an exact date, but how about an exact year?? Do you think it will be in 2012 or more like 2013 or 2014 before we test drive Beta 7. I really think we need a better time frame and actaully challenge you to give us one!! I think we deserve some type of response since I am paying you for a service. My clients would have my A$$ if I promised a product and kept falling short on delivery!! I think as users of TAVE we need to demand a time frame that is more concrete.

13. Gary
    Gary says:

We are all still waiting for a reply here?? Just think if I offered these types of promises to a potential client?!?

14. Adrian Ziemkowski
    Adrian Ziemkowski says:

Gary to get a response from us the best thing to do is to file a helpdesk ticket, as that is our primary communication system and we constantly monitor it throughout the day every day.

That being said, we haven’t announced any timelines, only our progress on this roadmap. With our history with date accuracy, talking dates would be disingenuous, which is why our focus is on the roadmap and progressing through the betas to the Early Access release (where 3.0 will be available for live use).

We’re working on Beta 5 now, which is the _final_ beta before Early Access, so we are in fact progressing steadily on our roadmap.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] to deliver before we hit feature-complete status across all products and start planning the Early Access release schedule. Cancel […]

2. […] new office we posted to Facebook? We’ve been putting the new office to good use with lots of 3.0 development and continuing the rapid helpdesk response times we’re known […]

Comments are closed.