Integrating Táve With WordPress

This is my first guest post ever!!! ok now thats out of my system.

There are three great ways to have a contact form on your WordPress website linked directly to Táve. The one I have chosen to talk about in this post is using Gravity Forms as the contact form creator, and then Gravity Forms Táve Add-On to do the heavy lifting of your form’s data in to Táve.

Gravity Forms is a great form creator, and allows you to create dynamic forms that will change options based on your input. If you had a contact form and you asked what kind of shoot your potential client wanted from you in a drop down list, you could have weddings, family, and other. When they select wedding, it will then add to the form other fields you may want to know from them, such as their partners name, or maybe the venue location. If they selected family, you may not want to ask about their partners name or their venue location as its not relevant, but you want to know how many people are in the family. The forms can change to the needs of your potential client and remove items you don’t want them to see unless its relevant to them and you.

So with the power of Gravity Forms it would only make sense to have the same power to put that information where it belongs in Táve. It will save time creating new leads from emails and it will just create them for you when using Gravity Forms Táve add-on. Below I am going to walk you through getting it setup, it might be a bit basic for some, and others will have many questions; so feel free to ask.

Installation and Setup of Gravity Forms Táve add-on

You will need:

1. Gravity Forms Plugin (HERE)
  2. Gravity Forms Táve add-on Plugin (HERE)

Follow the installation instructions provided to you from the developers of Gravity Forms to get their plugin up and running, and once that is all taken care of you can start to work on the following for Gravity Forms Táve add-on.

1. 01-plugins-neededStart by installing the Gravity Forms Táve add-on Plugin through your plugins menu in WordPress. Its as simple as selecting “Add New” and searching for “Gravity Forms Táve add-on” in the search box. There should only be one choice, so choose “install now”. Once its installed, you should have the two plugins depicted to the right, available to be activated. Activate Gravity Forms first as its the backbone to this setup. Then activate Gravity Forms Táve add-on.
  2. 02-wordpress-dashboard-after-installYou can see after activating Gravity Forms, and Gravity Forms Táve Add-on that there is a new menu item on the left hand side of the dashboard in WordPress labeled “Forms”.
  3. 03-menu-items-gravity-formsThe contents of this menu looks like this.
  4. 04-form-listIt is now time to make a form, one that can be used to contact you on your website. This form will be able to input the details into Táve after we setup the connection in the later steps. Click on “Add New”, or “Create One!”
  5. 06-form-nameGive the form a name, and while your at it a description just incase you need more detail about it later.
  6. 07-gravity-forms-editorThis is the form editor, where you will make your form. Get familiar with it, the Gravity Forms plugin is a powerful form creator, and there many options that you might find useful.
  7. 08-standard-fields09-advanced-fieldsThese are the two main form field insert button panels we will use, there are others but for the form I have created below I found everything I needed between these two.
  8. 10-form-createdThe form I created asks for their first name, last name, email, phone, and date. I also created a hidden field for the JobType that will always be set as Wedding to correspond with the Wedding Job Type in Táve.
  9. 11-optional-hidden-fieldHidden fields can be used to assign a form to a brand you have setup in Táve, or even to make a form only input into wedding jobs in Táve. For this for I have set it up to always set its value to Wedding to work with the JobType from Táve.
  10. 13-tave-settings-filledOnce you save your newly created form, click the settings menu item on the left (Forms > Settings) and then choose the Táve settings screen as you see in the image to the right and fill in the details from your account on this page. The Studio ID and Secret Key can be found on the bottom of Settings page in Tave under New Lead API. Once you have all the details filled in, click on the Táve sub-menu item so we can start mapping the form fields to the right places.
  11. 14-tavefeedsallowedNow that you have the details set for your Táve account into the plugin settings, you now get to map the fields from Táve to the fields in your form. To do this, you just go to the Táve menu item on the left ( Forms > Táve ). Once there you can click the button that says “Add New” or click on the words “Create one!”.
  12. 15-mapping-tave-fields-to-form-fieldsFor each Táve Field, select or “map” the corresponding Form Field from the list of fields. You must map the Táve Fields in red, but the remaining Fields are optional. Save all the hard work you did and test your new form.
  13. Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.28.52 PMOn the page or post you wish to show your form use the form short code that can be created by clicking on the “Add Form” button in the post/page editor, you can find it right beside the “Add Media” button above where you write your page/post. when you insert your form short code it should look similar to this: [gravityform id="2" name="Contact Us" title="false" description="false"]

Don’t forget to put your contact form short code into a page that is published or you won’t be able to see the form.

I hope this was helpful to all those who wanted more than anything to use Gravity Forms on their site with Táve. For those who are looking for a free alternative there is a similar set of plugins for Contact Form 7 for WordPress that will achieve similar results. Here is a link to the two plugins needed for Contact Forms 7 and Táve to work.

Contact Form 7
Contact Form 7 Táve 3 Integration

If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment or look me up, even if its to say how great this guest post was.

Ryan Rowell is the owner of a popular photography company in Canada called Rowell Photography. This guest post was an opportunity to let him talk about one of his plugins that he volunteered his time to make for the Táve community. The opinions expressed in the article are his own, and not of Táve.

25 replies
  1. Brighton Photography
    Brighton Photography says:

Thanks! Always on the lookout for better lead-capture tools.

I just purchased Gravity Forms with coupon code: MASSIVE30 for a personal license, and got a $12 discount. Not sure how long that code will last, but doesn’t hurt to try!

2. Kyle
    Kyle says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been waiting a couple years for someone to design a plugin like this. I even thought about switching to Contact Form 7 for its Tave plugin, but now I don’t have to. Thank you again.

Would it be possible to only have a Name field and then have the plugin parse it into first and last names?

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

It could be done, but however its not too simple as I can never guarantee what the user will put into that field and they may have two first names and a last name. Mary Anne Taylor for example would make figuring out the split difficult, as there are those who use one first name and two last names as well. It would get even more difficult if the user put in Dr. James Martin Jr. the list goes on.

• Kyle
        Kyle says:

That makes sense. I thought maybe the exceptions would be less common and easy to correct manually in Tave. But I’m not a programmer, so I have no idea all of what’s involved.

Would it be possible to map Gravity Forms fields to custom fields in Tave?

Thank you again for developing this plugin. I can’t fully express how much I appreciate it.

• Ryan Rowell
          Ryan Rowell says:

It is possible to also map custom fields to gravity forms, its one of the thoughts that was going through my head when i uploaded the plugin to wordpress. I have not looked to deeply into it though. I would likely have to make a drop down asking for how many extra fields you want, then you would have to insert your custom field name into those new fields on the mapping screen and map them to gravity form fields. I will have more time to look into this at a later date, but it was something I was thinking about. Secretly i don’t use gravity forms. I just can’t seem to style them the way I want, and they are heavy with scripts that I chose to streamline my site to load faster vs load heavy as I have already too much code being sent to my visitors.

3. TS
    TS says:

This is great! I was sad to have to transfer over to Contact Form 7 and let go of the robust powerhouse of Gravity Forms. I’d like to go back to Gravity Forms, but I notice with the plugin that my custom fields do not transfer over, nor can I get them to come up in the feed. Any assistance in this respect?

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

Because the custom fields are specific to your Táve settings, and the form options are hard coded in the plugin not pulled from your installation, theres nothing i can do to help you at the moment. I do intend on adding custom fields into the options eventually, but was waiting until the release of T4 to start anything.

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

I like how you posed your second statement as a question ;). Joomla may have to wait. I have not used the platform since 2007. At this time I only program these little plugins for myself, as a pass time. I am not an employee of Táve, and don’t have any inside secrets about there plans. I do know they have grand ideas and big plans for taking over the internet, so I wouldn’t put it past them to make something for Joomla.

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

It hasn’t been tested yet with it, but I would love to know if it does. Would you be kind enough to test it, I don’t have a Multisite version running on my system to test it with.

4. natasja
    natasja says:

Hi!!! Just purchased this!! Super easy to set up, but….what does this mean and how do i do it? “contact form short code”

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

The short code is something from WordPress that allows you to type something in [ square parenthesis ] to substitute it when the post is published on your site. this way you can use the short code to insert your whole contact form on the page you want it in. While I don’t know specifically what your speaking about with the contact form short code, I would bet you can find it in the documentation from the plugin author at: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Getting_Started

5. natasja
    natasja says:

Thanks Ryan,
    I searched there….after step 12, you mention the short code (which is what I would have to use so that inquiries are directly filtered into tave). I’m just wondering if there’s an area where I missed it since I set it up correctly and can’t seem to get that last step in 🙂

• Ryan Rowell
      Ryan Rowell says:

ok, now i understand what your talking about.. the easiest way to insert the code is to be editing the page you want it on. and theres a new button right beside the Add Media button above the area you write your post/page. the button is labeled “Add Form”. Just click that button and you will be presented with a screen like step 13 above. (just added that for you).

6. Hannah
    Hannah says:

Is there a demo of what the result looks like? My client currently uses Contact 7 Tave integration, but it’s not responsive and because it outputs into an iframe I can’t fix it.

7. James
    James says:

Hi! Just recently, we’re having issues with the datepicker in our form. it’s appearing as [cf7cal EventDate tabindex:06] instead of the normal datepicker/dropdown thingie? Thanks lots

Comments are closed.