Are you an avid reader of romantic novels? Do you like the idea of helping an author shape what could be a bestseller? Do you have a strong work ethic and knack for giving polite constructive criticism? Apply to join
the Romance Refined beta reader team!
Beta reading is when a reader in an author's target genre demographic gives the author feedback on their manuscript so they can gauge whether the story is on the right track. Usually this is done before any professional editing begins, but occasionally
it's done between rounds of editing or after all editing has been completed.
Pay starts at 50 cents per thousand words for a standard 3-week turnaround, which usually comes out to about $35 to $50 per manuscript, and increases to 65 cents after 3 completed assignments. If you're willing to accept rush jobs, pay increases by an
additional 15 cents per thousand words for jobs with a 2-week turnaround and an additional 30 cents per thousand words for jobs with a 1-week turnaround. All jobs will pay a minimum of $20 regardless of manuscript length, turnaround time, or experience.
Payment will be sent through PayPal.
After reading a manuscript, you’ll fill out a feedback form with around 80 questions. Some questions are open-ended and ask for thoughtful, detailed responses, and some questions you'll answer on a 1-5 scale or no/maybe/yes. The feedback process will
probably take you about 90 minutes.
- You'll need to be willing to read a manuscript that is greatly flawed. You may be a new writer's very first reader, and your role is to provide constructive feedback that helps them to improve their craft. On the other hand, you may get a manuscript
from a bestselling author who just needs to work out a few story kinks. Either way, beta reads often occur before any professional editing, so some story content issues, typos, and grammar issues will surely be present.
- You must be well read in each genre category you request on your application (contemporary, historical, speculative, mystery/suspense, erotica, young adult, and women's fiction), and you'll be asked to list a book title example for every genre you request. I'm looking for readers who enjoy “genre romance,” which
means the romance is central to the story and it's guaranteed to end optimistically with Happily Ever After (HEA) or Happy for Now (HFN), as well as readers who enjoy “romantic fiction,” which means romantic elements are equal to or support
the focus of another genre and there are no requirements for relationship resolution.
- You'll need to provide links to 3 romantic fiction book reviews you've written on a blog, a retail site like Amazon, or a book site like Goodreads. These reviews determine your acceptance onto the Romance Refined beta reader team. They should
demonstrate your ability to clearly communicate respectful feedback and insightful observations that reflect why you did or did not enjoy the book. The reviews do not have to be extensively analytical, but they should be more than a simple
statement of liking or disliking the book. The reviews should also show proficiency in grammar and spelling. Please include at least one review for a book you rated 3 stars or below.
- You must be able to commit to a three-week turnaround for standard delivery jobs. You'll have the option to accept rush jobs.
- You'll be required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement that prohibits you from sharing or discussing the manuscripts or the Romance Refined proprietary critique form with anyone outside of the beta reader program.
Sound exciting? Please submit your name and contact information below to be taken to an application.
You'll also receive an email with a link to the application so you may fill it out or edit it within the next 2 weeks.